Monday 31 August 2015

Yas & Ro Performance, 28th August 2015




So last Friday, 28th August, was a real night of history and progression for myself and as a duo with Rowan Slater; a fantastic guitarist originally from Lincoln but like me has moved to London to pursue a career performing live.

We had been practicing for over a month, once a week building up to our gig for Music Showcase UK held at Bar fm, Shepherd's Bush. It was our first performance entertaining the crowd for just 10 minutes, but a memorable, effective short and sweet set. I have learnt over the years it's not the quantity of songs, it's the quality. At our point we are only new as a duo, so we didn't want to overload the pressure :D

The gig couldn't have gone better! The host and crowd were really warm and seemed to really enjoy the sax, vocals & guitar we had to show them. We began with a lil' jazzy jam to warm up with, then we went into 'How We Fly'. I wrote this song about escapism (following the theme of my blog) when I was 19, first starting uni and pretty much started singing. The song provides me with comfort on stage, as it's familiar, catchy and comfortable for me to sing vocally with room to throw some sax to throw in there!

The last song we performed was 'Soul in My Shoes'. This was a great song to end on with its' major chords in the chorus, reggae beat verses, topped with some sax & guitar to end the story. 

Me and Ro connected musically and picked up on each other's cue's to end the jams we went on so that I wouldn't go blue in the face playing the sax! We realised we had something special, musically and that we definitely wanted to pursue the duo going forward to perform originals and classic jazz tracks. 

Hopefully we'll book another gig soon and report back soon :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment