Monday 24 August 2015

#JazzyMondays: Cantaloupe Island by Herbie Hancock




So it's Monday, I have decided to uplift you with a bit of a Jazz interpretation of 'Cantaloupe Island' if you're up for it - stay with me folks!

This well-written, simplistic yet effective piece of music was written by the renown and modern Herbie Hancock, who is music fans and musicians' 'hero' as a keyboardist, pianist, composer, bandleader & generally awesome dude in the music industry.

See, Jazz can be fun! We aren't all classically trained, in fact most Jazz musicians hear the melody and make it up as we go along which in music terms is called Improvising. I do this a lot; having a short attention span, never having much time off to practice and being pretty terrible at the theory side to music. I learnt to improvise everywhere and anywhere I went to most genres of music including Top 40 dance tracks to hip-hop, to jazz and blues...

You can hear an example of me improvising with alto sax towards the end of 'Cantaloupe Island' via the link above! Hope you enjoy the track.

Speak soon x


No comments:

Post a Comment